Flood Protection / Levee Expert
Are you passionate about coastal engineering and the world we live in...
At Baird, our vision is to focus on developing innovative, best in class solutions that will shape the future of where water meets land. We pride ourselves on building strong dynamic teams to facilitate personal and professional growth. It is our goal to ensure that our employees are having fun and enjoying what they do. We feel this will help them to think and function more holistically.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. (Baird) provides professional engineering and technical services related to the design of coastal structures and facilities that interact with the world’s oceans, lakes, and rivers. The company provides scientific analyses of coastal processes including studies of waves, water levels, currents, sediment transport, and water quality. Baird is recognized for the successful completion of innovative and practical projects throughout North and South America, the Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
We are currently looking for a forward-thinking, creative, and approachable Flood Protection/Levee Expert to join our US Team. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership on cutting-edge flood risk reduction projects (both coastal and inland) and be an expert in the planning, design, and construction oversight of levees, floodwalls, gates, pump stations, and other flood control structures. He/she will actively participate in a local, regional and/or national flood risk reduction association. Baird provides a stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional development and ownership within the company.
Job Duties will include:
- Provide advanced-level technical engineering for the planning, design, construction, operations, and maintenance for flood risk reduction projects (including levees, floodwalls, gates, and pumps stations).
- Identify and prioritize flood risk reduction projects and efforts.
- Evaluate and develop riverine, urban flood conveyance systems, and coastal flood protection systems operation procedures and emergency planning.
- Make presentations at public meetings, workshops, conferences, and client meetings.
- Manage work products, contracts, and technical reports.
- Support infrastructure planning and cost estimating.
- Oversee construction, maintenance and compliance inspections, investigate field and off-site conditions for projects. Determine appropriate codes and requirements that are relevant to the project. Assist in preparing and applying for permits.
- Participate in the analysis, interpretation, and application of relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Civil, Environmental, or Water Resources Engineering.
- Master’s degree in engineering, geotechnical, hydrology, water resources, or similar preferred..
- PE License in one or more of New York, New Jersey, Florida, Texas, and Louisiana.
- 10 years’ work experience in flood risk reduction measures design, or similar.
- Proficiency with MS-Excel and familiarity with database, processing, or scripting tools like MATLAB, Python.
- Drafting techniques using Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems such as AutoCAD Civil 3D and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) such as ArcGIS.
- Familiarity with hydrologic, hydraulic, and storm surge modeling tools.
- Experience with HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, CWMS, MIKE.
- Willingness to travel both domestic and internationally (25% of the time).
Client Relationships - You communicate (written and verbal) with impact, build relationships with an open mind, and are passionate about excellence in client service.
Communication Skills - Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills (English).
Analytical Skills - Ability to break down problems and pull together data, ideas, issues, and observations into a clear and useful format.
Initiative - Ability to react and anticipate potential programming problems and provide clear, concise recommendations to resolve them.
Teamwork - Ability to share information and knowledge freely, offering support and cooperation.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. is employee owned. This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Flood Protection/Levee Expert” in the subject line.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an EOE/M/F/D/V.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.