Water Resources Engineer / Hydraulic and Hydrological Engineer
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. (Baird) provides professional engineering and technical services related to the design of coastal structures and facilities that interact with the world’s oceans, lakes, and rivers. The company provides scientific analyses of coastal processes including studies of waves, water levels, currents, and sediment transport. Baird is recognized for the successful completion of innovative and practical projects throughout North and South America, the Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, and Southeast Asia. We pride ourselves on building strong dynamic teams to facilitate personal and professional growth.
We are currently looking for a forward-thinking, creative, and approachable Water Resources / Hydraulics and Hydrological Engineer to join our team in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The successful candidate will perform basic engineering-related tasks including research, development, design, and delivery on assigned project(s).
The selected candidate will assist a diverse team of international engineers and scientist with all phases of projects. Baird provides a stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional development and ownership within the company.
Job Duties will include:
- Performing a variety of clearly-defined assignments that require the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Participating in the collection and analysis of data.
- Review of work for discrepancies or inconsistencies, adjusts and correlates data, and follows operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes to completion under the guidance of an experienced engineer.
- Supporting mid- and senior-level engineers to complete planning, research, preliminary design, and performing detailed design modelling tasks.
- Developing and checking design calculations.
- Performing Hydrologic & Hydraulic analysis for projects such as drainage systems, deck drainage, lift stations, flood control projects, and floodplain management studies.
- Numerical modelling of watershed and channel systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering.
- Must be registered, or eligible to be registered, as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, MATLAB, AutoCAD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, SWAT, MIKE-21, MIKE-11, and working knowledge of GIS.
- Possess a diverse background in the following engineering disciplines: hydraulics, hydrology, earth surface processes, water resources, and statistics.
- Ability to prepare engineering designs, technical specifications, and cost estimates of hydraulic structures.
- Willingness to travel both domestic and internationally (10% of the time).
Client Relationships - You communicate (written and verbal) with impact, build relationships with an open mind, and are passionate about excellence in client service.
Communication Skills - Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills (English).
Analytical Skills - Ability to break down problems and pull together data, ideas, issues, and observations into a clear and useful format.
Initiative - Ability to react and anticipate potential problems and provide clear, concise recommendation to resolve them.
Teamwork - Ability to share information and knowledge freely, offering support and cooperation.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. is employee owned. This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email email@example.com. Indicate “Water Resources Engineer/Hydraulic and Hydrological Engineer” in the subject line.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. seeks to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds, and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion, or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.