Coastal Numerical Modeller
Are you passionate about coastal engineering and the world we live in...
At Baird, our vision is to focus on developing innovative, best in class solutions that will shape the future of where water meets land. We pride ourselves on building strong dynamic teams to facilitate personal and professional growth. It is our goal to ensure that our employees are having fun and enjoying what they do. We feel this will help them to think and function more holistically.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. (Baird) provides professional engineering and technical services related to the design of coastal structures and facilities that interact with the world’s oceans, lakes, and rivers. The company provides scientific analyses of coastal processes including studies of waves, water levels, currents, sediment transport, and water quality. Baird is recognized for the successful completion of innovative and practical projects throughout North and South America, the Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
We are currently looking for a forward-thinking, creative, and approachable Coastal Numerical Modeller to join our team in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. The successful candidate will work with a team of numerical modellers on a diverse range of project deliverables. Baird provides a stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional development and ownership within the company.
Job Duties will include:
- Numerical model development and application and reporting for projects concerned with coastal protection and defence structures, coastal erosion and land stabilization, metocean, dredging and reclamation, marine hydrodynamics, and offshore and coastal renewables.
- Supporting project management including resourcing, programming, commercial matters, and delivery.
- Contributing to the strategic development of the numerical modelling team.
- Supporting business development processes and delivering tender documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A degree in Ocean/Coastal Science, Civil/Coastal Engineering (or equivalent), mathematics, or geography. An MSc/MEng or MA is preferable.
- PEng or working towards PEng.
- Extensive demonstrable experience with MIKE by DHI including HD/SW/BW/ST/MT/AD.
- Experience with DELFT 3D advantageous.
- Sufficient skills to implement and undertake modelling with a range of open source software (Telemac/XBeach).
- Proficiency with MATLAB and sound understanding of statistics. Experience with other programming languages (Fortran, C/C++) would help.
- Strong mathematics background an asset.
- Sound understanding of coastal processes, climate change, coastal flooding, and metocean.
- Experience in port and offshore environments advantageous.
- Experience in integrating coastal numerical modelling and environmental aspects i.e. EIA / SEA / AA an advantage.
- Experience in report writing and an aptitude and desire to further develop these skills.
- Experience in mentoring junior members of the team and taking directive where necessary.
- Experience in contributions to project management and coastal engineering, and integration within multidisciplinary project delivery teams is essential.
- Willingness to travel both domestic and internationally (10% of the time).
Client Relationships - You communicate (written and verbal) with impact, build relationships with an open mind, and are passionate about excellence in client service.
Communication Skills - Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills (English).
Analytical Skills - Ability to break down problems and pull together data, ideas, issues, and observations into a clear and useful format.
Initiative - Ability to react and anticipate potential programming problems and provide clear, concise recommendation to resolve them.
Teamwork - Ability to share information and knowledge freely, offering support and cooperation.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. is employee owned. This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Coastal Numerical Modeller” in the subject line.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. seeks to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds, and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion, or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.