Marine / Coastal Engineer – Entry Level
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. (Baird) provides professional engineering and technical services related to the design of coastal structures and facilities that interact with the world’s oceans, lakes, and rivers. The company provides scientific analyses of coastal processes including studies of waves, water levels, currents, and sediment transport. Baird is recognized for the successful completion of innovative and practical projects throughout North and South America, the Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, and Southeast Asia. Wepride ourselves on building strong dynamic teams to facilitate personal and professional growth.
We are currently looking for a dynamic, motivated, and personable Marine/Coastal Engineer – Entry Level to join our team. The candidate will have experience in analysis, design, and implementation related to one or more of the following areas:
- Port Infrastructure - port planning, piers, dolphins, bulkheads, heavy lift structures, pipelines, multi and single-buoy moorings, ship loading equipment, and procurement thereof.
- Navigation - navigation channels, navigation simulations, navigation systems, locks, vessel procurement.
- Coastal - shore protection, flood risk reduction infrastructure (levees, gates, walls), living shorelines, restoration.
- Waterfronts - marinas, boardwalks, coastal parks, resort developments, beaches.
- Renewables - offshore generator or support infrastructure foundations, port logistics, procurement.
This position will be in our Ottawa, ON office.
The selected candidate will assist a diverse team of international engineers and scientists on a variety of projects. Baird provides a stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional development and ownership within the company.
Job Duties will include:
- Development of innovative and effective approaches to solving client problems.
- Contributing to a project documentation including design briefs, design criteria, engineering reports, drawings, and/or specifications.
- Manage assigned tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in civil engineering.
- Master’s degree in coastal engineering field is an asset.
- Registered with or have ability to register as an Engineer with PEO.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of coastal engineering experience in a consulting or contractor role.
- Construction experience related to waterfront and coastal projects.
- Experience with scientific computing and numerical modelling is an asset.
- Experience with CAD, Arc-GIS, and MS Office software.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally for 1–2 week periods.
Client Relationships - You communicate (written and verbal) with impact, build relationships with an open mind, and are passionate about client service excellence.
Communication Skills - Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills (English).
Analytical Skills - Ability to break down problems and pull together data, ideas, issues, and observations into a clear and useful format.
Initiative - Ability to react and anticipate potential problems and provide clear, concise recommendations to resolve them.
Teamwork - Ability to share information and knowledge freely, offering support and cooperation.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. is employee owned. This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Marine/Coastal Engineer – Entry Level” in the subject line.
W.F. Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers Ltd. seeks to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds, and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion, or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.