East Chicago Harbour Expansion
A new harbour was planned and designed to provide a sheltered basin for gaming vessels and to allow substantial public access to the waterfront. This allowed room for potential development in the harbour in the form of berths for other vessels and marina expansion.
« See Other Projects in Ports & Harbours
East Chicago, Indiana
View on Google Maps »
Comprehensive planning, modeling, design, and construction services were provided for this successful $14 million project.
- Innovative approaches for estimating vessel downtime were developed.
- The project was fast tracked to begin operation and revenue generation as quickly as possible.
- Nearly 200,000 yds3 of material dredged for the harbour was re-used for beach nourishment.
- The gaming vessels had a need to generate revenue as soon as possible.
- Reduce downtime for gaming vessels operating inside the harbour.
- A proactive, fast track approach was developed and implemented to quickly obtain permits and allow construction to begin on major elements while other items were being designed.
- Extensive physical modeling was done to determine the amount and frequency of vessel movement, including definition of allowable motion thresholds.