Kaumalapau Breakwater Repair
Major repairs were required to a vital breakwater protecting Kaumalapau Harbour. Core-Loc® Armor units were incorporated into the breakwater repairs resulting in a significant improvement to wave conditions in the harbour.
« See Other Projects in Ports & Harbours
Island of Lanai, Hawaii
View on Google Maps »
Technical input related to model studies, designs, plans and specifications was provided. During construction, guidance was provided to the contractor on fabrication and placement of the armor units.
- Breakwater repairs were designed to withstand very aggressive conditions, with wave heights up to 40ft.
- The project required use of 35 ton Core-Loc® armor units, the largest ever produced and placed in the deepest water depths for this type of unit.
- Develop a design process that was technically sound and enabled a practical construction approach.
- It was necessary to fabricate and place the Core-Loc® armor units under extreme conditions in Hawaii.
- Expertise in breakwaters and concrete armor units was invaluable in reaching a consensus on how to move forward from modeling to design and through construction.
- Specifications were tailored for Core-Loc® concrete. A Core-Loc® placing grid and strategy was developed.