Port Facility Improvements
The City of Marinette is located on the western shore of Lake Michigan . An existing bulk handling facility needed an upgrade to accommodate ocean-going vessels that now use the Great Lakes.
« See Other Projects in Ports & Harbours
View on Google Maps »
During construction, a unique design change was incorporated to address the discovery of contaminated sediments. Additional highlights include:
- Improvement to 1600 ft of working area for bulk handling facility with annual throughput of 500,000 tons
- Heavy load dock wall with a surcharge of 1000 psf and wall height of 32.5 ft
- Turning bollard for 1000 ft long ships
- Completed within budget, with remaining fund for additional improvements.
- Minimize disruption to operation of the existing bulk handling facility.
- Preserve the project budget by minimizing the removal of contaminated sediments.
- A phased construction approach required completion of defined segments of the wall by specific deadlines.
- A design change substantially reduced the amount of contaminated soil to be disposed of off-site, thereby keeping the project within budget.