Reef Point Marina Development
Racine County wanted to convert an existing commercial harbour to a small craft recreational harbour to help revitalize the city of Racine. The project would also serve as the catalyst for other downtown revitalization projects that were needed to stimulate the local economy.
View on Google Maps »
The existing breakwaters were increased in height and the harbour entrance was reconfigured to provide the necessary protection for recreational craft. Dredge spoils were used to create 17 acres of land and valuable marina space. Additional highlights include:
- Improvements to over 6,500 feet of breakwater
- 921 boat slips ranging in length from 30 to 60 feet
- Full-service water and electrical utilities
- Specialized fire protection system
- Fuel pier and sanitary pump-out facilities
- Maintain fishing access on the lakeside of the existing federal breakwaters.
- Provide a cost-effective design for breakwater improvements.
- Reduce boat traffic within the marina basin.
- An accessible concrete deck surface for pedestrians and fishing access was maintained while the effective elevation of the breakwater was increased.
- An innovative design of a berm breakwater used locally available stone.
- Creatively separated an existing boat launch facility from the marina basin to allow full use of the launch facility and minimize navigational conflicts.