Urban River Naturalization
Part of the planning for the revitalization of the Toronto Waterfront is the naturalization of the mouth of the Don River. Baird is a key part of the environmental assessment team for naturalizing the Don River and addressing flooding and sedimentation issues in the Port Lands.
« See Other Projects in Hydraulics & Hydrology
View on Google Maps »
Numerical modeling is ongoing, as well as the analysis of flooding, flood protection performance and sediment transport. This assessment includes sediment trap analysis and evaluation of dredging options, assessment of sediment transport and deposition in different naturalized channel alternatives, and participation in the design and public consultation process.
- Diverse and complex forms of analyses and modelling
- Geomorphic analysis and analytical modeling of sediment transport and deposition
- Evaluation of the functional design for the restored channel, wetlands and flood spillways
- Diverse design needs in an urban environment.
- Multifaceted environmental assessment process funded intermittently over several years.
- Complex flood analysis of regulatory flow events, with very high predicted velocities.
- Development of practical flood mitigation measures and testing of many design options optimized the best solution.
- Staff were made available to be responsiveness to client needs on short notice, developing a long-term relationships on the project.
- Detailed model review and testing, and a parallel modeling process involving two hydrodynamic models.